Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Kid Monsters - Monster Hunting 2b

Yes, even the kid-oriented channels get into the act.

TRUTH OR SCARE (Discovery Kids - Original Air Date: starting Oct. 25, 2001)
Hosted by Buffy's Michelle Trachtenberg, this show is aimed at the younger set and combines scientific inquiry with pseudoscience believers and mythology.  I'm not sure which episode I saw, as I tuned in late.  It may have been "UFOs Over Phoenix," but the part I saw dealt with Area 51.  They interviewed a believer (who went to the gates of the forbidden zone before backing off) and then a scientist who opined that the reason so many people see UFOs in this area is that the Area 51 base tests top-secret aircraft.  (Both manned and unmanned.)  The show seemed to have a reasonable balance of mythos/story and skepticism.  I'll have to see if I can catch more episodes.

No comments: